Like any other organ in the body, the liver is also subject to exhaustion from constant use. In such a scenario, the liver becomes sluggish in its work. Mandated with the work of cleansing the toxins from blood, any slowness of the liver results in the buildup of toxins in the body. The liver has compensatory mechanisms that ensure that it maintains physiological function; however, these are not failsafe mechanisms. If overworking of the liver continues, it may end up with irreversible damage.
Derangement in the functioning of any internal organ manifests as various signs and symptoms
Your general health is dependent on the health of your internal organs carrying out their physiological functions as required. If an organ is not functioning up to par, the internal milieu of your makeup becomes dysfunctional and may manifest in a number of ways.
The physiological functions of the liver include glucose and cholesterol metabolism, synthesis of blood clotting factors and bile, and detoxification of the blood among others. If such functions are carried out inadequately, the body tries to inform through various symptoms that all is not well with the liver.
Signs that the liver needs a detox include the following;
- Abdominal bloating is experience, which is defined as a condition in which the belly feels full and tight and may be distended.
- Difficulty in losing weight even when on a proven diet. This can be coupled to weight gain that cannot be explained.
- Gaining fat around the waist region is also another sign of a liver in need of detox.
- Bile is produced from cholesterol by the liver cells. Bile is useful in emulsification of fatty foods resulting in their easier digestion and absorption. Liver insufficiency may result in decreased bile synthesis. This will manifest as inability to digest fatty foods.
- Heartburn can also result from insufficient bile salt formation. This is because one of the functions of bile is to neutralize food acidified by hydrochloric acid in the stomach. When stomach acid is not neutralized, it is likely to cause heartburn.
- Pain or discomfort in the right upper region of the abdomen is also a reliable sign of a problem in the liver. This is because this is the anatomical location of the liver in the body.
- Once you ingest proteins, the liver helps to detoxify ammonia which is a product of amino acid (building blocks of protein) metabolism. In liver insufficiency, slight levels of ammonia may accumulate and manifest clinically as headache, foggy brain, unpleasant mood changes, depression and impaired consciousness.
- Dark spots may develop on the skin. They are brown to black patches that are well demarcated. They mostly occur on the face and back of hands. Build up of toxins in the body also promotes the formation of spots after exposure of the skin to sunlight.
- Liver dysfunction may also present with acne rosacea. This is a type of acne that usually appears in old age. Clinically, it presents as red pimples, which are located centrally on the face.
- Immune dysfunction is also a possible occurrence. It can manifest as allergies such as hay fever, asthma and skin rashes.
- Other general symptoms include bad breath, itchy skin, excessive sweating and an offensive body odor.